Friday, July 17, 2015

#NYCBigBold VoxBox Review: Big Bold & Precise Felt Tip Liner and Angel Lash Mascara

Earlier this summer, Influenster sent me a VoxBox with two new eye makeup products from NYC New York Color. Before I begin, a disclaimer:

I am no makeup connoisseur.

This is where I stand when it comes to shopping for beauty items. I use makeupalley.com as a general discernment tool whenever I'm in the market for a new product, and most of my purchases are from CVS, Walgreens, and the like. (As a college student, I'm putting off more high-end makeup purchase for when I'm a real adult with a steady income.) My daily routine is literally moisturizer, chapstick, and a series of prescription creams from my dermatologist.

In short, I'm happy with reliable drugstore makeup, having never tried much else, so I'm not going to wax on about these new products. This review will get straight to the point. Call it a micro-review, if you will!


The bad // NYC Big Bold & Precise Felt Tip Liner

Eyeliner is one product I've actually had a long history with. I've been applying pretty decent cateyes on my lids ever since eighth grade, when I started wearing eyeliner for plays and musicals. Liquid liner is my favorite to apply, so I really wanted to like this.

The main things I look for in liquid liner are opacity, easy transfer, and control. But it took more than a few strokes to get this on my lids, and when I did manage to apply it, I found the formula a bit watery and not very black. The felt tip somehow manages to make both straight lines and cat eyes awkward to apply. 

V'S VERDICT: I'll stick with my reliable (if imperfect) Revlon Colorstay liquid liner!



The good // NYC Big Bold Angel Lash Mascara

This comes in a pretty purple tube that promises voluminous lashes. Again, I was excited because that's precisely what I look for in mascaras! 

I was pleasantly surprised by this mascara. Though I admit I've never tried a mascara I didn't like, there was something I really enjoyed about the way this feels when applied. Perhaps it's the lush brush tip. It feels like it distributes the mascara pretty evenly, no clumps. I thought my lashes looked better than they've looked in the past two years of using my Maybelline mascara. 

Keep in mind that my eyelashes are quite light, and I saw some reviews written by thicker- and longer-lashed ladies who found that this mascara weighs down their lashes to point that they won't hold a curl. But if your lashes are already pretty voluminous, a voluminizing mascara like this isn't appropriate for you in the first place!

V'S VERDICT:  This is the first tube of mascara that actually makes me want to use it up, and it only costs a little more than four bucks. I'm sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment