Sunday, July 20, 2014

#tbt to our first time seeing each other all summer, and thoughts on long distance love

Okay okay so it's not Thursday. WHATEVA

 

These aren't the most photogenic pics ever. Nope nope. But they're still some of my favorite photos of us because they commemorate our first long-term reunion after being away from each other all school year. Believe it or not, the first year I went off to college and away from Mister Mario went pretty smoothly. At one point I actually thought to myself, "Man, long distance relationships are so much easier than people make them out to be!" 

*cue infinite amounts of ironic laughter*

Long distance relationships deserve their bad rep. Not being able to share as much of your life with each other as you'd like to can be... a lot. It all comes down to trust and communicationand I hate how cliche that sounds, but cliches are cliche for a reason! It's hard to make your significant other really feel loved and appreciated, even when you're on polar opposite sides of New York. (Who told New York it was okay to be so much bigger than people expect it to be?)

But to those who say that long distance relationships are impossible, I saywith all due respectBS.  They're not impossible so long as you're both willing to work twice as hard for each other. Even when people tell you that this is the time of your life to explore what's out there. Mario was/is my first boyfriend. But as poet Shane Koyczan once wrote: "You were the choice I made before I knew what the other choices were." It's all worth it because he's worth it. KnowhatI'msayin?

Anyway, Mario's been in Virginia with his friends all weekend. He better come home to me safely, that one. Since we spend so much of the year apart, summer is our time to be with each other as much as humanly possible. I'm really thankful to be with someone who has me craving his company so often, even after almost two and half years together. We may have had some of our hardest few months this past school year, but we got through 'em like champs.

Onwards and upwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment